Friday, May 18, 2012

Education is a passion of mine.

After roughly four years of working for Imagine Learning, I have developed an incredible passion for education. In particular, the education of children in urban areas. I spend the vast majority of my working life in district offices and schools that are either overseeing or offering public education to urban students. It is amazing to see first-hand some of the absolutely amazing work that is being done in the classroom. The news media makes it a point to make us all think the public education is horrible, and if we don't have our kids in private or charter schools then we might as well just give up. It makes me so sad. While there definitely is still much improvement that needs to be made, the strides that are being made are pretty awesome. It makes me sad to see families leave one school district for another. We need the parents to form the PTAs that help administrators turn districts around and make them amazing. You might be thinking I am crazy as you read this, but this is what I see first-hand every day. The schools where the parents are involved are making huge gains and you can feel it in the school. I look forward to the day that I send my kids to public schools and have the opportunity to work with and help out at the school. 


There is a definite change that is taking place in many schools. A shift in the way that teachers teach, and the way that children learn. Below is a really cool piece by Sir. Ken Robinson, a British guy who I think has a lot of fantastic ideas for changing the way we teach kids so that students can really focus on their passions and maintain high levels of creativity. It might be a little over the top in some areas, but overall, very fascinating stuff. Watch it when you get a minute. People in America need to get more involved in education. Instead of constantly complaining about our schools, let's get in there and help them in this transformation. Also, here are a couple of cool books I am reading by Ken Robinson. 

Out of Our Minds:Learning to be Creative
The Element:How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything










6 comments:

charity eyre wright said...

the typo in the title is pretty ironic... :) we need to talk education policy this summer! i just finished "class warfare" by steven brill. it is a great overview of the history of education policy. check it out. and also innosightinstitute.org :)

Josh said...

Ken Robinson is brilliant. Watch this video when you get a minute: http://youtu.be/iG9CE55wbtY

A lot of the same stuff...SO inspiring to me as a teacher. I've listened to it at least 10 times and it lights a fire under me every time.

I agree with a lot of what you said about public schools...so many of them are so great and do a fantastic job educating children. But in so many instances there is so much bureaucracy and red tape that teachers arms are tied and they are not allowed to be creative. And creativity is the key.

Barb said...

Oh, man, I loved this so much!

blindblogger said...

I really enjoyed his use of illustration in this lecture and look forward to reading some of his books. Thanks for sharing.

mom said...

So glad you love this stuff! Maybe you'll be instrumental in solving some of our seemingly insurmountable education problems!

Anonymous said...

Become an elementary school teacher and deal with the parents. Then you'll see where change needs to happens. It will definitely open your eyes!